30 Nov 2013

Mexican Tomato Soup, Chilli Nachos, Veggie and Feta Sprinkles

Meal 103 - November 30th - Mexican Tomato Soup, Chilli Nachos, Veggie and Feta Sprinkles

You'd be forgiven for thinking that I've taken my foot off the gas in my 15 minute meal challenge as it has been a while since I posted anything. And you'd kind of be right, as circumstances have been dictating my schedule recently. Today's Mexican tomato soup was supposed to be the first of three meals this weekend, as I looked to take advantage of a rare weekend at home. Unfortunately things did not go quite according to plan...

It started ok - I did a huge shop in Waitrose buying ingredients for three 15 minute meals (and a range of other unnecessary items which happened to catch my eye, such as Maryland Gooeys - yum).

And I do love a good tomato soup - normally, it has to be said, of the cup-a-soup variety (great for hangovers, colds and lazy office lunches) but I do occasionally trade up to a Covent Garden. This one was naturally a bit different to your bog standard supermarket offering - jarred red peppers and basmati rice featuring alongside the more usual ingredients. It's probably the easiest of all the soups - there's no annoying croutons or dumplings on the side, just some simple nachos (upon which I grated approximately twice as much cheddar as specified in the recipe, whilst doing my best evil laugh) and a few sprinkles.

I managed not to burn the nachos this time and it all looked pretty good. The soup tasted as much of red pepper as it did of tomato and it had a bit of a bite to it as a result of the rice - which is supposed to be a substitute for the much fattier cream but I'm not sure it really does the same job. We were also a bit unsure of what to do with the "sprinkles". Taking Jamie's lead (as in, this is what he did in the TV show) we just bunged it all in the bowl together! And it worked - what's not to like about a mouthful of avocado and feta with your tomato soup?!

Lolz gave the dish 9/10. Several hours later she was unfortunately regurgitating it, but she assures me this was the result of some dodgy mussels she ate the day before. It did put paid to my hopes of doing any further 15 minute meals for the weekend...

Difficulty rating 1/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews